From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using python 2.7
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 01:32:48
1 On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 04 2014, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Paige Thompson <erratic@××××××××××.sx> wrote:
5 >>> RIP python 3
6 >>>
7 >>> how do I get rid of it
8 >>
9 >> It's possible that you can't. Some (or many) packages could depend on
10 >> Python 2.7 because they don't work with Python 3.x. You can check that
11 >> with:
12 >>
13 >> equery depends dev-lang/python:2.7
14 >>
15 >> In my main system (full GNOME 3 desktop), 174 packages depend on
16 >> Python 2.7. Some of them probably can be made to work only with Python
17 >> 3.x, but I'm willing to bet that the majority doesn't.
18 >>
19 >> Maybe in the future, but I don't think it will be possible for at
20 >> least a few years.
21 >>
22 >> Regards.
23 >
24 > I believe the OP wants to keep 2.7 and ditch 3.
25
26 Right. Even so, that's going to be even more difficult as long as more
27 and more packages switch to Python 3. Which is happening really
28 slowly, but happening nonetheless.
29
30 Regards.
31 --
32 Canek Peláez Valdés
33 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias