From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Sat, 03 May 2014 11:06:40
1 Am 03.05.2014 12:54, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
2
3 > I don't use systemd, but as it's pushed by Redhat and redhat, by default, uses
4 > LVM, I would expect that part to work correctly together.
5
6 Yes ... but I still don't fully get what services to enable to get it
7 set up correctly. lvmetad yes or no, various systemd-generators ... to
8 me it looks a bit confusing. I had a local lvm.service ... and disabled
9 it already.
12 >> I am still trying to spot the reason. As mentioned in my other reply
13 >> currently it seems to also timeout/hang with openrc for me.
14 >>
15 >> Right now I downgraded systemd, rebuilt dbus, dracut, procps ...
16 >
17 > lvm-utils?
18
19 No such package in portage on my thinkpad ... (using this machine to reply).
20
21 >> From a live-cd I am able to mount /, start the 2 raid-arrays, activate
22 >> VGs and LVs ... everything useable.
23 >
24 > Ok, to get this straight.
25 > You have x amount of disks
26 > those are in 2 raid-arrays
27 > on top of that, you have LVM...
28
29 one ssd for / and /home ... 2 hdds building 2 mdadm-arrays as PVs, VGs
30 on top ... LVs for data/music/VMs/etc
33 > Can you check that LVM is WAITING for the MDADM arrays to be build?
34
35 I will try to. Disabling it from a non-booting system is a bit
36 difficult. Commenting the fstab-lines containing LVs didn't help to skip
37 this step so far (seems there is this LVM-systemd-generator called)
38
39 >> Removing the "real_init" from the kernel line chooses openrc and also
40 >> leads to a hanging boot.
41 >>
42 >> So a next step seems to comment the LVs from fstab and check if it boots
43 >> then.
44 >
45 > Or enable interactive boot where you can press "I" to have every service ask
46 > if it needs to be started. Then skip LVM.
47 > Do you have parallel-boot enabled with OpenRC?
48
49 No.
50
51 > If yes, disable that just to make sure that isn't causing the issue with
52 > OpenRC.
53 > With systemd, I would recommend checking the dependencies between mdadm and
54 > lvm.
55
56 Additional scratching: even editing the grub2-line doesn't reliably
57 chose openrc for booting. Oh my ...
58
59 It would help to somehow set a smaller timeout for this start job to at
60 least get into emergency mode sooner. Right now it waits forever ("no
61 limit").
62
63 S