From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Sat, 03 May 2014 10:55:29
1 On Saturday, May 03, 2014 12:33:11 PM Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 03.05.2014 12:27, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
3 > > On 3 May 2014 12:12:09 CEST, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
4 wrote:
5 > >> I see boot problems on two of my machines ... very likely related to
6 > >> lvm2 as far as I can tell so far.
7 > >>
8 > >> Downgraded and even disabled systemd, re-emerged stuff ... I am still
9 > >> at
10 > >> trying to find the reason. Maybe it is with the mdadm raids also ...
11 > >>
12 > >> I just want to ask you other gentoo users if anyone else hit this issue
13 > >> since around yesterday? Maybe someone else also scratches his head
14 > >> already ...
15 > >>
16 > >> Stefan
17 > >
18 > > Can you provide more info on the kind of boot issues you are having?
19 > >
20 > > Based on what you gave, only difference between your systems and mine is
21 > > systemd. And my systems boot. This leads to the assumption the issue is
22 > > caused by systemd.
23 > >
24 > > --
25 > > Joost
26 > >
27 > > Ps. This is NOT an anti-systemd remark :)
28 >
29 > Yeah, sure ;-)
30 >
31 > Reporting issues/bugs from a system running with systemd very often
32 > leads to these fundamental statements "see what happens ... !?" :-)
33
34 I tend to try not to.
35 If you had mentioned a random package X instead of systemd, my comment would
36 have mentioned random package X.
37
38 I don't use systemd, but as it's pushed by Redhat and redhat, by default, uses
39 LVM, I would expect that part to work correctly together.
40
41 > I am still trying to spot the reason. As mentioned in my other reply
42 > currently it seems to also timeout/hang with openrc for me.
43 >
44 > Right now I downgraded systemd, rebuilt dbus, dracut, procps ...
45
46 lvm-utils?
47
48 > From a live-cd I am able to mount /, start the 2 raid-arrays, activate
49 > VGs and LVs ... everything useable.
50
51 Ok, to get this straight.
52 You have x amount of disks
53 those are in 2 raid-arrays
54 on top of that, you have LVM...
55
56 Can you check that LVM is WAITING for the MDADM arrays to be build?
57
58 This sounds like an issue I was having a while ago. I had to add an extra
59 dependency to the start-up scripts at the time.
60
61 > Currently I rebooted kernel 3.14.2 and get another:
62 >
63 > "A start job is running for Activation of LVM2 logical volumes" ... from
64 > systemd-212-r2 (tested -r3 and stable 208 as well)
65 >
66 > Removing the "real_init" from the kernel line chooses openrc and also
67 > leads to a hanging boot.
68 >
69 > So a next step seems to comment the LVs from fstab and check if it boots
70 > then.
71
72 Or enable interactive boot where you can press "I" to have every service ask
73 if it needs to be started. Then skip LVM.
74 Do you have parallel-boot enabled with OpenRC?
75 If yes, disable that just to make sure that isn't causing the issue with
76 OpenRC.
77 With systemd, I would recommend checking the dependencies between mdadm and
78 lvm.
81 Joost