From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]Computer build, was PCIe x1 or PCIe x4 SATA controller card
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 22:36:25
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 07:45:25AM -0500 schrieb Dale:
3 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>>> Another question.  My rig is getting a bit aged.  I have a AMD FX-8350 8
5 >>>> core CPU running at 4GHz.  I also have 32GBs of memory.  I've read that
6 >>>> Intel currently has the best bang for buck on CPUs nowadays.  I'm open
7 >>>> to the idea of switching.  As far as speed goes, if I built a new rig
8 >>>> that is using a reasonably cost CPU and memory, would I see any real
9 >>>> improvements?
10 >>> I think it all depends on what you're going to use the machine for and
11 >>> whether you really use all your CPU for extended periods of time.
12 > This! My mini PC with its passive 10 W Celeron N5100 is enough for desktop
13 > use, including encrypted storage. But maybe not for Gentoo. :)
14 >
15 >>> […]
16 >>> PixInsight has a benchmark program built in and all the results
17 >>> are open to look at:
18 >>>
19 >>> https://pixinsight.com/benchmark/index.php?sort=cpu&os=all
20 >>>
21 >>> Interestingly I didn't find your processor even on the list
22 > That’s probably because the FX processors are ooooold. Old and hungry. ^^
23 >
24 >> Sometimes a CPU that costs $500 can only be just a fraction faster than a
25 >> $200 CPU.
26 > That’s still the case today for those impatient gamer enthusiasts who are
27 > after the “longest bars” [in benchmarks]. The same goes for power
28 > consumption. With Zen 4, AMD of course launched the fastest X-processors
29 > first with a gargantuan power demand. A few months later the non-X were
30 > released. They used 40 % or so less power at a performance cost of maybe 10
31 > % (not actual numbers, but figuratively speaking from memory).
32 >
33 >> Given that my rig, as you point
34 >> out, sits here and waits on me to do something most of the time, that's
35 >> a lot of money for something I won't see much time savings on.  I might
36 >> add tho, I do sometimes convert videos from 1080p to 720p.  That makes
37 >> the CPU max out pretty good.  Compiling Libreoffice, Firefox etc also
38 >> maxes out the CPU but those are what, once a month or so???
39 > Intel and AMD are giving themselves quite a race these days about who offers
40 > more bang for the buck, or rather, more bang. In the past, Intel used to
41 > have more to offer at the lower end (below 100 € CPUs, like Pentiums and
42 > i3’s, while AMD was milking the market with high-end chips due to their
43 > limited manufacturing capacities).
44 >
45 > If you want to save money and aim for a low-cost AMD APU (processor with
46 > integrated graphics), you can get an older 3000-series Ryzen for a two-digit
47 > price. It’ll still be much faster than your old FX at a fraction of the
48 > power consumption. Like the 4300G, which is twice as fast for half the
49 > electricity. With today’s processors, basically none of the socktetable
50 > models are too slow unless you have specific performance requirements.
51 >
52 > With each generation, the architecture becomes more efficient, meaning more
53 > instructions per cycle, lower consumption and so on. The max frequency is
54 > not really the driving force behind performance increase anymore due to
55 > efficiency issues at higher frequencies.
56 >
57 > Here are some benchmark comparisons from cpubenchmark.net:
58 >
59 > Processor year power cores single-core score multi-core score
60 > FX-8350 2012 125 W 8/8 1580 6026
61 > i5-4590 2014 84 W 4/4 2086 5356
62 > i5-10400 2020 65 W 6/12 2580 12258
63 > R3 4300G 2020 65 W 4/8 2557 11017
64 > R5 5600G 2021 65 W 6/12 3185 19892
65 > R5 7600X 2022 145 W 6/12 4213 28753
66 >
67 > Sources:
68 > https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html#desktop-thread
69 > https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core&id=1780
70 > https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4590+%40+3.30GHz&id=2234
71 > https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-10400+%40+2.90GHz&id=3737
72 > https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+3+4300G&id=3808
73 > https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+5+5600G&id=4325
74 > https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+5+7600X&id=5033
75 >
76 > You can see the increase in performance. My old i5-4590, at half the cores,
77 > can keep up with your FX, even though it is only 1½ years younger. Ryzens
78 > used to be more efficient in multi workloads (look at the 2020 entries). But
79 > I’m not too sure about current generations due to Intel’s big-little
80 > concept.
81 > DDR5 and PCIe5 have higher requirements at signal quality, making the boards
82 > and components much more expensive (and, again, more power hungry). That’s
83 > why, even though DDR4 platforms are on their way out technologically, they
84 > are still an economically sound choice.
85 >
86 >> I was also wondering what a mobo/CPU/memory combo would cost nowadays.
87 >> Maybe someone who recently built a decent rig recalls how much they paid
88 >> for those three.  I don't go cheap on power supply but I don't require a
89 >> lot for a video card or anything.  Some spend half their money on a
90 >> video card alone but I just don't need anything that fancy.
91 > Any current Intel non-F CPU (F means no graphics) can cover your graphics
92 > need. Finally, AMD caught up and started shipping a minimal graphics chip in
93 > all of their processors with Zen 4, but as I said, that platform is still
94 > expensive.
95 >
96 >> I got a Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 that drives both my monitor and my TVs
97 >> through a splitter and it does just fine.
98 > How cute. This should be about twice as fast as the integrated graphics in
99 > my 8-year-old i5. So you’ll be fine with *any* integrated graphics (which
100 > will also cut down on idle consuption, compared with a dGPU).
101 >
102 >> This is some good info tho.  Maybe someone who built a rig recently can
103 >> chime in on costs, US dollar would be nice.  ;-)
104 > As mentioned, DDR5 is still expensive. With DDR4 platforms getting older,
105 > their prices are going down. The Ryzen 5 5600G is an excellent and efficient
106 > processor (it’s basically a laptop chip in a desktop socket) and currently
107 > can be had for around 125 € (including taxes of course, not sure about US
108 > prices). It has over twice the single- and thrice the multi-core performance
109 > of your FX chip. Its graphics are way overkill for you, but you never know.
110 > ;-)
111 > If you want to keep yout GPU, there’s also the Ryzen 5 5500, it has no
112 > graphics and is only minutely slower than the 5600G, but can be had for less
113 > than 100 €.
116 > So, in summary (talking German consumer prices, meaning all taxes included,
117 > but I think you can assume very similar $ pricse) for a not too fancy¹ system:
118 >
119 > Processor 120 € (or up top 150 € for a current i3/i5)
120 > RAM 60 € 32 GB DDR4 (cheap RAM, low latency costs more, but has no real use
121 > for your use case)
122 > Board 100..120 € depending on I/O needs and quality.
123 >
124 > Going DDR5 means an increase in budget by at least 100 € for a 32 GB system.
127 > ¹ As far as I can see, compiling packages is the most taxing thing you do,
128 > which is why I don’t see you needing a big-rig processor. (Though I
129 > understand the nice feeling you get from having one.)
133 This is all good info.  I went to Tom's Hardware and found their list by
134 computing power.  I try to find a generic power rating since what I use
135 my rig for is more generic.  No need looking at a chart for gaming.
136 ;-)  Anyway, I was looking at a somewhat costly Ryzen 7 5800x3d or a
137 Ryzen 7 7700.  I need to look at the details because I like having my
138 own video card.  That way I can use Nvidia but switch to something else
139 if the need should arise.  Plus, if the video stops working, replace
140 card instead of whole mobo.  I also have to have two outputs.  One for
141 desktop, one for TV.  Based on your info tho, I could go down more in
142 price and still have a much better CPU than the current one.
143
144 One other thing, the mobos I keep finding have few PCIe slots.  Some
145 have 2 maybe 3.  That's getting to be to few for me.  I have a ethernet
146 card, SATA expansion card plus a couple other things in mine that I
147 use.  Then my next thing, a case.  The cases I find have a ton of
148 lights, which I hate, but as far as layout and such, they suck.  Some
149 cost a arm and leg and they are worthless to me.  I found one the other
150 day that is fairly plain, holds 8 or 10 hard drives and has reasonably
151 good cooling.  I'm hoping I can get it.  I don't think even Cooler
152 Master makes a case like what I got anymore.  I need more drive space
153 but I love the cooling of my current case.  The fans don't spin very
154 fast but they move a LOT of air, quietly.
155
156 Usually I look forward to building a new rig.  Trying to find things I
157 like takes the fun out of it.  I'll get there tho.  Eventually.
158
159 Thanks for all the info.  It helps me to know if I build a new rig, I
160 will see a benefit speed wise.  I want to get something out of it.  lol
161
162 Dale
163