From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How should I clean up my broken system?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:44:14
1 Hi, Alan,
2
3 On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 09:27:15AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > On Friday 12 February 2010 21:55:29 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > As reported in other threads, my new PC had a broken RAM stick in it.
7 > > As a result, an unknown proportion of installed binaries are flaky.
8 > > One non-functioning binary is probably GCC.
9
10 > > What I'd like to do is reinstall every binary, yet without erasing
11 > > any configuration info, whose creation was so arduous.
12
13 > > Where does portage keep it's list of installed packages? What do I
14 > > have to do to persuade portage it has _no_ installed packages before
15 > > doing 'rm -rf *' in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin?
16
17 > > Has anybody any other tips to offer me for this operation?
18
19 > First get a working compiler installed. There are many ways, here's
20 > what I think is the easiest:
21
22 > Boot into a Gentoo LiveCD, chroot into your install, and emerge -k the gcc
23 > tarball on the CD.
24
25 > Reboot into the actual install, synce the portage tree and
26
27 > emerge -e world
28
29 > That will rebuild everything, including gcc.
30
31 Thanks! In the end, I just used the gcc I had on the system anyway; it
32 wasn't broken. I first did 'emerge -e gcc', which took an hour, then did
33 'emerge -e world', which took ~2 hours 30 mins.
34
35 I was being a bit paranoid. The reason I "gave up" on the installation
36 CD was I failed to find out how to start my LVM2 voluble logics, or
37 whatever they're called.
38
39 I'm now back on track, setting up my PC. Thanks!
40
41 > The paranoid might want to emerge gcc itself on it's own first so that
42 > rebuilding world is done with the same gcc version as what it will
43 > become (gcc is not built first when you rebuild world, all sort of
44 > toolchain tools and parsers are earlier in the list). Personally, I
45 > don't do that - there is an actual chance that using an old compiler to
46 > build a new compiler may lead to incompatibility issues, but the risk
47 > is extremely small and rare, and it's never bitten me.
48
49 There was that apocryphal tale of the origianl Unix hacker who hardwired
50 a backdoor login into the system, and hacked cc to _keep_ inserting the
51 backdoor each time the system was built, and to keep this hack in cc each
52 time cc was compiled. Whew!
53
54 > --
55 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com