From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Why does high-res video drop frames at 60% CPU?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 18:25:02
1 On 07/07/2010 08:46 PM, Grant wrote:
2 >> Regarding mplayer: There is another ebuild in the multimedia-overlay
3 >> that I prefer now to mplayer(-mt) and that also uses ffmpeg-mt :
4 >> media-video/mplayer-uau.
5 >>
6 >> It fetches the mplayer-version from one of the mplayer-devs and creates
7 >> a binary called "mplayer-uau" which can be installed at the same time as
8 >> the official mplayer package.
9 >
10 > I gave that a try and it smoothed everything right out, so I guess it
11 > was a CPU issue after all. Thank you for your help. How is
12 > mplayer-uau different from mplayer-mt? Maybe mplayer-mt can't be
13
14 mplayer from multimedia overlay is a replacement for the regular,
15 official mplayer with the only change being ffmpeg-mt. It can't be
16 installed alongside regular mplayer because it's a replacement and
17 multithreading can be enabled/disabled at runtime.
18
19 mplayer-uau is a fork of MPlayer, previously known as "mplayer-git",
20 before the developer was kicked from the mplayer project for unknown
21 reasons. While mplayer from multimedia only adds the ffmpeg-mt patch,
22 mplayer-uau adds more patches.