From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Why does high-res video drop frames at 60% CPU?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 17:46:48
1 > Regarding mplayer: There is another ebuild in the multimedia-overlay
2 > that I prefer now to mplayer(-mt) and that also uses ffmpeg-mt :
3 > media-video/mplayer-uau.
4 >
5 > It fetches the mplayer-version from one of the mplayer-devs and creates
6 > a binary called "mplayer-uau" which can be installed at the same time as
7 > the official mplayer package.
8
9 I gave that a try and it smoothed everything right out, so I guess it
10 was a CPU issue after all. Thank you for your help. How is
11 mplayer-uau different from mplayer-mt? Maybe mplayer-mt can't be
12 installed alongside mplayer?
13
14 > Regarding your frame drops: it is highly likely that sound is the
15 > problem. Please try playing the video with "-ao null" to see if that's
16 > the case. I assume you use pulseaudio? Check if it has real time
17 > capabilities (kill it, start it with verbose/debug in foreground, read
18 > log). Also try "-ao alsa" and "-ao oss".
19
20 No change with "-ao null". I actually don't use pulseaudio.
21
22 > Your data-source (gard disk, network?) is fast enough? Copy 1GB into RAM
23 > to be sure by ether using RAM-disk or cache-settings.
24
25 It's running from an internal HD.
26
27 > Try nvidia-binary. You'll get VDPAU in that case, which will result in
28 > about 5% CPU usage when decoding h264!
29
30 I'm trying to move away from VDPAU. It fixes the performance issue
31 but the extra layer creates a new set of problems.
32
33 - Grant