From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Why does high-res video drop frames at 60% CPU?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 09:51:10
1 On 07/07/2010 05:33 AM, Grant wrote:
2 >>> I've been using VDPAU acceleration to play back Blu-Ray rips for a
3 >>> while, but the extra layer is getting to be quite a hassle so I'm
4 >>> trying to get decent performance via software decoding. It has
5 >>> actually come a long way since the last time I tried and playing
6 >>> Blu-Ray rips via mplayer is nearly watchable. I'm using a dual-core
7 >>> 3.1Ghz CPU and one of the cores is only taxed up to 60% during
8 >>> playback, but frames are still being dropped constantly. Does anyone
9 >>> know where the bottleneck might be?
10 >>
11 >> Not sure. Could be wrong CPU load display; which tool do you use to get the
12 >> CPU load?
13 >
14 > I use top. On the mplayer list, people were saying they too get 60%
15 > CPU load but no playback problems.
16 >
17 >> Anyway, if you're not already doing so, you might want to try the
18 >> multithreaded version of mplayer so both CPU cores can do decoding. It's in
19 >> the "multimedia" overlay. More details here:
20 >>
21 >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-789673.html
22 >
23 > I really don't think it's a CPU issue. What other factors could be at
24 > play? Could it be my nouveau video drivers?
25 >
26 > - Grant
27 >
28 Regarding mplayer: There is another ebuild in the multimedia-overlay
29 that I prefer now to mplayer(-mt) and that also uses ffmpeg-mt :
30 media-video/mplayer-uau.
31
32 It fetches the mplayer-version from one of the mplayer-devs and creates
33 a binary called "mplayer-uau" which can be installed at the same time as
34 the official mplayer package.
35
36 Regarding your frame drops: it is highly likely that sound is the
37 problem. Please try playing the video with "-ao null" to see if that's
38 the case. I assume you use pulseaudio? Check if it has real time
39 capabilities (kill it, start it with verbose/debug in foreground, read
40 log). Also try "-ao alsa" and "-ao oss".
41
42 Your data-source (gard disk, network?) is fast enough? Copy 1GB into RAM
43 to be sure by ether using RAM-disk or cache-settings.
44
45 Try nvidia-binary. You'll get VDPAU in that case, which will result in
46 about 5% CPU usage when decoding h264!
47
48 Hope some of this helps...
49 Daniel
52 PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
53 # gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887