From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Why does high-res video drop frames at 60% CPU?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 03:34:26
1 >> I've been using VDPAU acceleration to play back Blu-Ray rips for a
2 >> while, but the extra layer is getting to be quite a hassle so I'm
3 >> trying to get decent performance via software decoding.  It has
4 >> actually come a long way since the last time I tried and playing
5 >> Blu-Ray rips via mplayer is nearly watchable.  I'm using a dual-core
6 >> 3.1Ghz CPU and one of the cores is only taxed up to 60% during
7 >> playback, but frames are still being dropped constantly.  Does anyone
8 >> know where the bottleneck might be?
9 >
10 > Not sure.  Could be wrong CPU load display; which tool do you use to get the
11 > CPU load?
12
13 I use top. On the mplayer list, people were saying they too get 60%
14 CPU load but no playback problems.
15
16 > Anyway, if you're not already doing so, you might want to try the
17 > multithreaded version of mplayer so both CPU cores can do decoding. It's in
18 > the "multimedia" overlay.  More details here:
19 >
20 >  http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-789673.html
21
22 I really don't think it's a CPU issue. What other factors could be at
23 play? Could it be my nouveau video drivers?
24
25 - Grant