From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo gets as bad SuSE: Circular dependencies [WAS: Thank you Gentoo devs]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 22:14:38
1 On Wed, 16 May 2007 17:51:20 +0200, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2
3 > Circular dependencies are mostly a problem for new users since as soon
4 > as the dependencies are installed the circular dependencies are
5 > satisfied and hence irrelevant.
6
7 I know, it was in a new install that I got hit.
8
9 > The real problem comes when a new user right after finishing install
10 > sets a bunch of use flags and attempts to emerge gnome or kde only to
11 > be greeted with 40 lines or more of circular dependencies.
12
13 You mean I shouldn't have copied over a make.conf from another machine
14 without checking? ;-)
15
16 I think the important point about this was that it was such a trivial
17 hiccup to fix - USE="-directfb" emerge -1 libsdl - then continue with the
18 previous emerge.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 On the other hand, you have different fingers.