From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync from ext3 to vfat?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 16:58:57
1 On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 01:31:38PM +0100, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
3 >
4 >> > Hi,
5 >> >    I'm looking for what rsync options I can use to copy existing files
6 >> > on an ext3 file system to an external eSATA drive formatted with vfat.
7 >>
8 >> You will have problems if you try to rsync a maildir folder:
9 >>
10 >> stefan@g128 .maildir % ls -l cur
11 >> total 12772
12 >> -rw------- 1 stefan stefan    6177 27. Jul 2011  1311745926.M692969P7969.g128,S=6177,W=6324:2,RS
13 >
14 > you can write a colon in an NTFS filename, you won't be able to access the
15 > file in Windows though, due to it using : as drive separator. But a funny
16 > quirk is that you can't create dot-files in Explorer (".someting"), because it
17 > thinks the file has no name then, but only an extension. One has to use the
18 > console then.
19 >
20 > OTOH the OP wants to use the FAT disk in a media device. I don't expect it to
21 > handle maildir. *g*
22
23 In my case these are just *.mp4 files ripped by HandBrake and placed
24 on a FAT drive as my HDTV has a USB port and the ability to play files
25 from a USB drive.
26
27 The setup is working very nicely at this point. The family likes being
28 able to use the TV instead of watching over Ethernet on a computer.
29 The TV can also access the machine where I rip DVDs but that requires
30 the computer to be turned on and a web server running which isn't
31 always the case.
32
33 Anyway, it seems like people answering want to make this more
34 difficult than it was, or answer some question other than what I
35 asked. I have no problem with that - do what you want here in this
36 thread, I'm a supporter - but it doesn't necessarily address my
37 concerns.
38
39 At this point everything works. The only thing I'm putting up is that
40 the rsync operation still tries to change owner & group, cannot do it
41 on fat, and gives me an error message about each of those problems.
42
43 Cheers,
44 Mark