From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: where is /dev/ttyS* ?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:56:16
1 On 4/24/06, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > --- Simon Kellett <zoxed_c@×××××.de> wrote:
5 >
6 > > maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> writes:
7 > >
8 > > > #pon <isp>
9 > > > /usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/peers/hd:
10 > > unrecognized
11 > > > option '/dev/ttyS0'
12 > >
13 > > Sorry if it sounds obvious, but do you have serial
14 > > port built into the
15 > > kernel ? Is it recognised at boot up ?
16 >
17 > As modules in /etc/modules.autoload.d/2.6. And they
18 > all load before /etc/conf.d/net is reached. Don't tell
19 > me I have to put them in the kernel now. That's lame.
20 > It assumes I want to dial out every time I boot up.
21 > Not true.
22 >
23 You don't need it to be a "built-in" - module will work just fine.
24 However, from your lsmod output, I'm not seing a *serial driver*
25 module loaded (the piece that does the hardware-level communication
26 with the physical serial port - the ppp_* modules handle the
27 networking aspect of a dial-up modem, but they rely on actually having
28 a serial port to talk to). Did you compile serial port support into
29 your kernel (as a built-in or a module)? What is the output of
30 modprobe -l (ell, not eye)?
31
32 To check for serial port support in your kernel, do:
33 cd /usr/src/linux
34 make menuconfig
35 go to Device Drivers -> Character Devices -> Serial Drivers
36 Then make sure that "8250/16550 and compatible serial support" has
37 either a * or an M
38
39 If it doesn't, then go ahead and add it in, recompile, reboot, and see
40 if your problem is fixed.
41
42 If it is enabled, and it is a module, there should be a module with a
43 name something along the lines of serial8250 - try modprobe'ing it,
44 then check for /dev/ttyS0.
45
46 What is the output of ls -al /dev/tts?
47
48 In your dmesg, do you see anything like:
49 serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
50 ? (cat /var/log/dmesg, or just type dmesg)
53 HTH-
54
55 James
59 > > Was the old softlink created by the kernel or udev ?
60 >
61 > Don't know. But now the link(if you mean the sym-link
62 > from net.lo to net.ppp0) is made in /etc/conf.d/net
63 > where it says cd something something, ln -s net.lo
64 > net.ppp0. Which is confusing because why does it have
65 > to make the link every time the PC boot's. And then
66 > when it boots it says something like "file already
67 > exists". But see my thread "emerge wvdial issues" for
68 > more detail.
69 >
70 > I even created the device useing mknod with the major,
71 > minor numbers from ../Documentation/devices.txt.
72 >
73 > No dice.
74 >
75 > -Maxim
80 > > --
81 > > Simon Kellett, | Gentoo Linux, Fvwm,
82 > > Firefox
83 > > Darmstadt, Germany | Xemacs, Vm,
84 > > Gnus
85 > >
86 > > --
87 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
93 > Do You Yahoo!?
94 > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
95 > http://mail.yahoo.com
96 > --
97 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
102 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list