From: Hal Martin <hal.martin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] NFS poor performance, high system load
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 04:02:43
7 Gentoo box:
8 AMD Athlon X2 3800+
9 Intel PCIe Gigabit Network adapter
10 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet
11 Controller (Copper) (rev 06)
12 Supermicro 8-port PCI-X SATA card (in a PCI slot)
13 03:06.0 SCSI storage controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
14 MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller (rev 09)
15 Western Digital 1TB Black Edition hard drive (writing to an XFS partition)
16 2.6.27-amd64 (Yes, it's old, it's on my list to upgrade)
17
18 Client:
19 MacBook Pro
20 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz
21 Intel integrated Gigabit Network adapter
22 Seagate 160GB SATA hard drive (5400RPM)
23 Mac OS X 10.6.1
24
25 /etc/exports:
26 /mnt/daigo 192.168.0.31(rw,insecure)
27
28 hdparm -tT /dev/sdf
29
30 /dev/sdf:
31 Timing cached reads: 1230 MB in 2.00 seconds = 614.64 MB/sec
32 Timing buffered disk reads: 316 MB in 3.01 seconds = 104.95 MB/sec
33
34 Over NFS I'm getting 3.7MB/s, with occasional bursts of 25MB/s for 1-5
35 seconds, then returning to 3.7MB/s. During this entire process, the
36 system load is hovering around 5.5.
37
38 The same copy, using samba to share that partition, I get 45MB/s
39 sustained. System load is around 1.0.
40
41 Even though the SATA controller is over the PCI bus, which does limit
42 its performance somewhat (no RAID arrays are running on it) as you can
43 see from the attached hdparm output, the disk is capable of speeds that
44 should be around what gigabit ethernet can provide.
45
46 I know this is a Gentoo list, and not generally the place to complain
47 about poor NFS performance in Mac OS X, we all know Gentoo is superior
48 in just about every way anyway. However, I simply cannot believe that
49 the difference in transfer speeds is due to strictly to Mac OS X's NFS
50 capabilities.
51
52 Does anyone have any suggestions for reducing the system load caused by
53 NFS? Can you suggest any performance increasing tips for my NFS
54 configuration?
55
56 Thanks,
57 Hal