From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading 1-year old system
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 22:25:28
1 On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 03:32:22PM -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > >> I haven't updated my system for over a year (1year and 3-months).
4 > >> I was trying to upgrade my firefox-bin and I'm already running into problems.
5 > >>
6 > >> What is my best option, re-install from scratch, upgrade in stages etc.
7 > >> With firefox-bin I'm getting:
8 > >
9 > > 1 year 3 months isn't usually that bad and it can be done - I've done it
10 > > many times myself. However there are gotchas:
11 > > […]
12 > > - go slowly and deal with one block at a time. A regular emerge world
13 > > probably won't succeed so you gotta bite of small chunks
14 > >
15 > > With those basics out the way, it's a great learning experience. I
16 > > recommend you do it at least once.
17 >
18 > Might I also add, the -t option can reveal what is causing what
19 > sometimes.
20
21 Add --unordered-display to that (I put it into my emerge default options).
22 It will shrink the output by removing duplicate [nomerge] lines and give you
23 an easier to understand overview.
24
25 A short while ago I updated an old netbook that hadn't seen any action in
26 probably 2 years. It took a while (I cloned the HDD and compiled on my main
27 rig), but I prevailed, inlcuding KDE 4 upgrades.
28
29 > Also, I'd start with @system first, then work on @world.
30
31 I use custom sets (basic tools, system utilities, X stuff, media players
32 etc) and dealt with one of them at a time, starting with the less intricate
33 ones.
34
35 > Only bad thing is, KDE, if you have it installed, is in @system because
36 > of dependencies, last I checked anyway.
37
38 Uhm, KDE will not become part of @system, but you probably can't update kde
39 without @system first. Much fun comes from the package renaming from
40 kde-base to kde-apps, and now KDE4 isn't even in the tree anymore. (The OP
41 hasn't stated whether he actually uses KDE, though.)
42
43 There are three options that spring to mind:
44 - use the -D flag. Not really an option at the start, but later on in the
45 process. The problem: if you upgrade package A, which depends on package
46 C, then the -D flag will catch it. But if package B also depends on it and
47 *requires* a lower version, you get blockers.
48 - Those blockers you can either remove temporarily (such as media
49 applications that are rich in dependencies)
50 - or add them to a small list of packages that you then update with one
51 emerge run.
52 - Try updating the unsuspicious stuff first. It will thin out your emerge
53 output and let you deal with the tricky stuff later. Ask eix -uc. It will
54 show you all upgradable packages and mark those in world with a different
55 colour. Plus it is my hope that this will speed up emerge -u world because
56 the package list becomes smaller.
57
58 Happy hunting.
59 --
60 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
61 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any social network.
62
63 Don’t knock, just put me down on the doorstep.