From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update problems
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 21:29:59
1 On 09/19/2015 12:36 PM, lee wrote:
4 > I could remove boost (and maybe reinstall it later), but I would like to
5 > keep ffmpeg. hdf5 apparently goes back to having blender installed,
6 > which I would also like to keep. And apparently, I would have to remove
7 > libreoffice before I could update.
8 >
9 > Why can't we just update like we can with any other distribution but
10 > have to run into dependency problems all the time instead?
11 >
12 > What do I do when I need to update /right now/ and find myself being
13 > blocked with cryptic messages like the above that leave me stranded?
14 > Once I used 'emerge --sync', there is no way to turn it back to continue
15 > to be able to install software if needed when the update cannot be
16 > performed. Updates simply need to work, there's no way around that.
20 I just updated machines that were several months behind updates and ran
21 into similar problems. In my case, I had items in /var/lib/portage/world
22 that didn't really need to be there (as they were pulled in by a
23 dependency) that was causing portage to fall flat on its face.
24
25 For boost and ffmpeg, try running `equery depends <package>` and if no
26 result comes back it wasn't installed from a dependency. If it does say
27 another package is pulling it in, remove it from the world file by
28 using: `emerge --deselect <package>` - in the case of boost it would be
29 `emerge --deselect dev-libs/boost`.
30
31 Don't just remove them without seeing if they're being pulled in via
32 dependency though - if you manually compiled something outside of
33 portage you may have added the dependencies manually.
34
35 Once you've checked the packages for dependencies and/or removed some
36 items from the world file, try running the update again.
37
38 Dan