From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Opinions on Host's Decision Please
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:40:49
1 On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:54:36 -0700
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I have a dedicated server now and I'll never use a shared system
5 > again. I think the problem would be the internet connection. I've
6 > heard that most ISPs block port 80 so you can't run a webserver from a
7 > "home" connection. I think business connections are expensive. I'm
8 > only paying $75/month now.
9 >
10 > - Grant
11
12 $75/month is more than it costs to get a business-level cable or
13 DSL line w/ a static ip in my area. The dsl guys couldn't guarantee
14 speeds better than 256k both ways, but Comcast was happy to sell me
15 loads of bandwith. Their package was around that for the 8mb down /
16 768kb up , + a static IP. The only catch was the hefty
17 two hundred fifty dollar installation fee that was waived only with a 2
18 year commitment.
19
20 FWIW, many isp's also _don't_ block port 80. In fact, the DHCP ips of
21 both my friends on DSL and myself seem entirely open. One friend of
22 mine has configured his router with hosts.deny, and therefore he has no
23 true firewall; I can even get through on the finger port, telnet, smtp,
24 ssh -- everything.
25
26 On my home server (comcast cable), I am
27 very happy to say that not only are all the ports open, but my
28 connection is actually pretty good for my very low traffic needs.
29 ( spore.ath.cx is being hosted from my linen closet; see the speed
30 yourself). If you want me to run a port map on your ip address, feel
31 free to send me your IP address.
32
33 So don't think that it's really expensive to have a do-it-yourself
34 solution in your garage or something, at least not too quickly.
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list