From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Opinions on Host's Decision Please
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:08:47
1 > > > Customer service in the Internet age :(
2 > > >
3 > > > I would find a new host, but that's just me.
4 > >
5 > > Any recommendations?
6 >
7 > Couldn't you host your own server in the loft or the garage, using an old box
8 > for the job? A car battery + inverter for UPS (all second hand of course)
9 > should see you good for not much more than the cheapest of most ISP packages
10 > per year. The catch here is that access speed may not be as good as the more
11 > centralised fiber optic data centers with their load sharing, 8 CPU monsters,
12 > but as I assume that you are not running amazon or google you should be
13 > OK. ;-)
14 >
15 > It may be worth checking with your domestic DSL/cable ISP that they do not
16 > throttle traffic and that they allow you to run a server in their T&Cs.
17
18 I have a dedicated server now and I'll never use a shared system
19 again. I think the problem would be the internet connection. I've
20 heard that most ISPs block port 80 so you can't run a webserver from a
21 "home" connection. I think business connections are expensive. I'm
22 only paying $75/month now.
23
24 - Grant
25 --