From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - UVESAFB setup not working
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 12:21:10
1 On 7 July 2010 12:50, Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 07/07/10 15:50, Mick wrote:
3 >> On Monday 05 July 2010 23:46:54 Jake Moe wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I've recently installed a new system, and can't seem to get UVESAFB
6 >>> working properly.  I've set up everything in the kernel, and modified
7 >>> GRUB's menu.lst to use the framebuffer.  However, even though there
8 >>> doesn't seem to be any errors, I can't seem to get anything other than
9 >>> "default" resolution with far too large fonts.
10 >>>
11 >>> I've compared dmesg info, GRUB configs and kernel configs between this
12 >>> laptop, and another laptop that has UVESAFB running fine, and am at a
13 >>> loss to find what's wrong.
14 >>>
15 >> Stating the obvious, have you emerged fbcondecor, ran /etc/init.d/fbcondecor
16 >> start and then added it to your boot runlevel?
17 >>
18 > Thanks for the reply.  But...
19 >
20 > jmoe@aus10373 ~ $ eix fbcondecor
21 > No matches found.
22 > jmoe@aus10373 ~ $ eix fb -a con
23 > No matches found.
24 > jmoe@aus10373 ~ $ eix fb -a decor
25 > No matches found.
26 >
27 > Erm, wossat then?  Are you thinking of bootsplash?  Besides, this is
28 > something that happens long before the initscripts run; the screen
29 > should go from GRUB to "standard" console for a moment, then it should
30 > change to the framebuffer console.
31
32 I'm sorry, I meant v86d (looked at an old machine of mine which also
33 has a framebuffer splash for more eyecandy in an initird).
34 --
35 Regards,
36 Mick