From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] clone root from HDD to SSD causes no video with NVIDIA driver
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 07:56:53
1 * From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
2 * Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 08:02
3 * To: gentoo-user@l.g.o<mailto:gentoo-user@l.g.o>
4 * Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clone root from HDD to SSD causes no video with NVIDIA driver
7 * Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
8 * nomodeset did not change anything, but adding EFI_FB to the kernel finally got me a functional console.
9 * But if I startx from there I am back again to the same point, no X, no console switching with CTR-ALT-Fn,
10 * no crash in syslog, I have to SSH to get to a working shell. I'm not getting anywhere, I think I'll better install from stage3.
13 * Odds are, if you start from stage3, you will get the same problem again unless you do something different.
14 * When I first stated using Gentoo, I didn't realize that one can restart a install pretty much anywhere in the install.
15 * Starting over doesn't get you anything different if you repeat the same steps.
16
17 Just to update: I tried all the hints received here with no luck. Since others on this list managed to get uefifb working with the NVIDIA driver I believe the problem could be my mobo/UEFI FW/GPU combination. I found some rather old posts ([1], [2]) supporting this hypothesis. For the moment I switched to nouveau.
18
19 Thanks again to all,
20
21 raffaele