From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clone root from HDD to SSD causes no video with NVIDIA driver
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 06:02:31
1 Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2 >> -----Original Message-----
3 >> From: J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
4 >> Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2020 08:23
5 >> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clone root from HDD to SSD causes no video with
7 >> NVIDIA driver
8 >>
9 >> For plain console (TTY1,...) you need to enable EFI_FB in the kernel.
10 >>
11 >> I use Nvidia and also have this enabled in the kernel, so it can work together.
12 >> I also use the nvidia-drivers package provided in Portage. Not everything is
13 >> added, but most is. The RTX/Optix libraries are added when using a "multilib"
14 >> profile, judging from the ebuild.
15 > nomodeset did not change anything, but adding EFI_FB to the kernel finally got me a functional console. But if I startx from there I am back again to the same point, no X, no console switching with CTR-ALT-Fn, no crash in syslog, I have to SSH to get to a working shell. I'm not getting anywhere, I think I'll better install from stage3.
16 >
17 > Just one more info, when issue 'halt' from the SSH OpenRC scripts are executed up to the 'mount-ro' (or similar) script, which fails with
18 > "Remounting / ro failed because we are using /"
19 > And the process hangs there, I need to hit the power switch to power off.
20 >
21 > Thanks to all who contributed,
22 >
23 > raffaele
28 Odds are, if you start from stage3, you will get the same problem again
29 unless you do something different.  When I first stated using Gentoo, I
30 didn't realize that one can restart a install pretty much anywhere in
31 the install.  Starting over doesn't get you anything different if you
32 repeat the same steps.
33
34 Since you can ssh into the machine, I'd grab log files and post them
35 here.  I'd look into sddm.log and Xorg.0.log.  If you see other logs
36 such as rc.log, I'd post them as well.  Surely something in one of those
37 will shed some light.  It has to be easier than starting over and most
38 likely having the same issue again.  I used ls -al /var/log/ | grep log
39 to see what all types of logs were there.  You may have some I don't or
40 use different tools that generate other logs.
41
42 I suspect either one of those logs will shed some light or it is a
43 kernel config or kernel boot option problem.  Just a gut thing.  Since
44 you can ssh in, it seems everything else is working.
45
46 Dale
47