From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating Blue-ray video discs
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 16:48:39
1 On 2020.05.29 12:00, Ashley Dixon wrote:
2 > On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 10:12:44AM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 > > Wonder why it is not being kept up to date.  Maintainer no longer
4 > > interested in it, other tools took its place???
5 >
6 > The code developer is a Gentoo developer. I've looked at the C (one
7 > file) and
8 > it's not particularly good code; 100+ line functions with a
9 > few memory
10 > leaks and generally poor C-programming practices. I would advise
11 > against using
12 > it, especially considering that it doesn't provide any
13 > functionality over
14 > grepping through use{,.local}.desc or using the on-line index.
15 >
16 > It also has a few other silly bugs [1] and quirks; I'd be very
17 > dissatisfied if a
18 > programmer under my (hypothetical) employment wrote such code.
19 >
20 > The maintainer/developer also seems to have a very carefree attitude
21 > to serious
22 > bug reports, such as replying with "euses checks for an
23 > environment variable
24 > PORTDIR. Does this help?" to the report regarding his tool relying
25 > heavily on
26 > deprecated features.
27 >
28 > [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/715748
29 I'm a bit confused here. That bug is filed against app-portage/euses,
30 but it complains about euse, and specifically at the end of the
31 initial report it says app-portage/gentoolkit-0.4.6. Do both
32 gentoolkit and euses have their own "euse" command? (I don't plan to
33 emerge euses just to test that.)