From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hp H222 SAS controller
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 09:21:59
1 Am 03.07.2013 21:34, schrieb Paul Hartman:
2 > On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
3 >> Am 03.07.2013 00:42, schrieb Paul Hartman:
4 >>> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> Does anyone use that controller with gentoo?
7 >>>>
8 >>>> If yes, which driver/module does support it?
9 >>>>
10 >>>> I ordered one for a server and did not really check the facts ;-)
11 >>>
12 >>> Looks like it uses the LSI SAS2008 chipset (basically LSI controller
13 >>> with HP branding), so you should enable kernel module mpt2sas
14 >>> (CONFIG_SCSI_MPT2SAS) and probably some other SAS-related options will
15 >>> be required as well if you don't already use them.
16 >>>
17 >>> I actually just installed a card with this same chipset in my Gentoo
18 >>> machine yesterday! I have not attached disks to it yet, as I am
19 >>> waiting for the enclosure to be delivered, but so far nothing froze or
20 >>> burst into flames when the module loaded. :) I even upgraded the BIOS
21 >>> and firmware on the card from within linux and everything seems okay,
22 >>> so far.
23 >>
24 >> Thanks a lot, Paul, for that feedback. Seems that you will be the first
25 >> to really test it, my box will arrive next week, I assume. This will be
26 >> an installation from scratch so no SAS-related stuff there already.
27 >>
28 >> I wonder if it makes sense to attach the disks to that adapter as well?
29 >> This box will do amanda backups ... so there will be the amanda holding
30 >> disk and it is important to have maximum speed between that holding area
31 >> and the tape drive. I plan RAID1 on 2x2TB disks at least or maybe even
32 >> RAID0 (it's a rather temporary storage area so the redundancy isn't that
33 >> important). Testing will show!
34 >
35 > Mine will be attached to an external 8-disk storage array with 2
36 > external SAS cables (4 disks per cable). I had a 5-disk 8TB software
37 > RAID5 in my computer that I had to remove due to an unplanned
38 > motherboard upgrade. Right now the disks are in a cheap external
39 > 5-disk eSATA/USB JBOD enclosure plugged into the eSATA port on my
40 > motherboard, but it's not able to access all disks at the same time,
41 > so the RAID5 performance is awful. Around 10-20 MB/sec on writes and
42 > max 50MB/sec on reads. (It was previously 100MB+/sec for both
43 > operations.)
44 >
45 > In the eSATA enclosure, a single scrub (check) of my array takes FOUR
46 > DAYS to complete! I worry about what will happen if I have to replace
47 > a disk, the rebuild would take forever... what if there is a power
48 > outage and my UPS battery only lasts around 30 minutes?
49 >
50 > I bought two of the lowest-quality 4tb Seagate drives for US$140 each
51 > on sale and plan to use them to make a backup copy of my files from
52 > the RAID onto those drives. So far I have never made a backup of my
53 > RAID because I never had enough storage space to duplicate it all.
54 > "RAID is not a backup" has been repeating in my head for all these
55 > years. Horror stories about a corrupt filesystem, or 1 bad sector
56 > causing the whole RAID5 rebuild to fail. Now that I will have extra
57 > drive bays, maybe I can add a second parity drive and try to do an
58 > online upgrade from RAID5 to RAID6. I definitely want to make a good
59 > backup before I try that...
60 >
61 > I am hopeful that the SAS controller and enclosure should give me high
62 > performance again! I will let you know how it goes.
63 >
64 > BTW, I am using the latest 3.9 series linux kernel.
65
66 My planned box will be a stable gentoo installation so that will mean
67 3.8.13 for now. No problem, I assume.
68
69 Thanks for your description ... good luck with that!
70 I will maybe pre-install that system in a VM until the hardware gets
71 here ;-)
72
73 Stefan