From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox 68
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 20:22:19
1 On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 09:08:24AM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote
2
3 > Is this for real or is it a mistake to be reverted soon? I do not
4 > enjoy the thought of rebuilding firefox twice in a row.
5
6 The USE flags seem to have been around for a while. I haven't updated
7 my desktop for a few weeks (I'll do it tomorrow). "emerge -pv firefox"
8 gives firefox-60.8.0 with...
9
10 [ebuild N ] www-client/firefox-60.8.0::gentoo USE="gmp-autoupdate screenshot -bindist -clang -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -dbus -debug -eme-free -geckodriver -hardened -hwaccel -jack (-neon) -pulseaudio (-selinux) -startup-notification -system-harfbuzz -system-icu -system-jpeg -system-libevent -system-libvpx -system-sqlite -test -wifi"
11
12 Notice all the "system-*" flags. I run Pale Moon, a Firefox fork.
13 The two programs have diverged over the years... but see Warning #5
14 in post https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=20885
15
16 > Don't use system libs. Seriously, just don't. The only known-good
17 > libs are those in our source tree; don't be fooled by it working
18 > on simple/small applications because we are not and the balance is
19 > very precarious when dealing with our size of code base organically
20 > grown over decades.
21
22 This might not apply to Firefox, but it probably does. APIs change
23 with versions. By using the internal libs, you know that Firefox will
24 be using the library versions it's expecting to see.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
28 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications