From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] easy Gentoo tricks
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 09:07:42
1 Am 26.11.2012 09:49, schrieb George Karagiannidis:
2 > On 11/26/2012 10:38 AM, Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >> Am 25.11.2012 22:53, schrieb Grant:
4 >>> What are your favorite easy Gentoo tricks? Stuff that makes your system
5 >>> a lot better in some way with only a minimal amount of effort. I just
6 >>> discovered one for xfce4:
7 >>>
8 >>> emerge tumbler
9 >>>
10 >>> No other config. Really cool result.
11 >>>
12 >>> - Grant
13 >> cgroups are awesome to keep the system responsive under incredible load
14 >> (make -j64 and watching a video in parallel? Sure, why not). I'm still
15 >> looking for the best way to set them up, however.
16 >>
17 >> Also, having a KDE setup that is slim enough to work on a second
18 >> generation netbook (terrible SSD, 512MB RAM) is something you can
19 >> probably not do with any other distribution.
20 >>
21 >> Regards,
22 >> Florian Philipp
26 > Greetings.
27 >
28 > Philipp, I am currently using XFCE and I would like to switch to KDE,
29 > but I consider it a bit bloated :S. Do you mind sharing the way you
30 > setup your KDE?
31 >
32 > regards,
33 > George Karagiannidis
34
35 Well, disabling semantic-desktop is probably the most important step.
36 The rest is more aggressive than usual disabling of USE-flags and
37 compiling with -Os.
38
39 BTW: Please don't top-post.
40