From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What Firefox (what browser) for Online-Banking?
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 22:27:15
1 On 170107-23:13+0100, wabe wrote:
2 > Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On 2017-01-07 17:36, wabe wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > I think a dedicated (virtual) machine for online banking is
7 > > > much more important than the use of a specific browser.
8 > >
9 > > This sounds like a very good idea, but are there unintended
10 > > consequences? For example, where do you keep the password?
11 >
12 > In my little red analog notebook. :-)
13 > If someone steal it, is is useless without my banking card that
14 > I always carry with me when I leave the house. Without this
15 > card the thief cannot crate TANs (I'm using a TAN generator
16 > that only works with my card).
17 >
18 > > BTW, does your bank block Tor? Mine does :-( Otherwise I'd
19 > > probably use Tails for this purpose.
20 >
21 > Dunno. Never tested this. What advantage would have the usage
22 > of tor?
23
24 It would have disadvantage, because you're not hidden if you go and
25 login to your own bank, c'mon!
26
27 Actually you reveal yourself, it's like putting a mask on, as if going
28 incongnito, and then calling loud that your name is:
29
30 John Doe
31
32 and there the bank confirms that you are the certain John Doe, because,
33 guess what, you know your own:
34
35 password
36
37 (, token, whatever), to access your bank account.
38
39 Regards!
40 --
41 Miroslav Rovis