From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange firefox segfault
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:54:52
1 On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:43:01AM +0200, Maxim Kremenev wrote:
2 > Maybe u try exec firefox in console and send output ?
3 >
4 > On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Disclaimer: I am using a hardened x86 system.
7 > >
8 > > Just now I updated to Firefox 3.0.5 (which is now keyworded stable). I
9 > > found that starting firefox is no problem, nor is basic, normal
10 > > browsing. What is a problem is the hot-keys!
11 > >
12 > > In short, if I tried to type Ctrl-N for a New Window or Ctrl-T for a
13 > > New Tab, firefox segfaults.
14 > >
15 > > I can click, using the mouse, File->New Window, and the New Window
16 > > will start with no problem. I can click File->New Tab, and the New Tab
17 > > will start with no problem. I can use middle-click to open a link in
18 > > new window with no problem.
19 > >
20 > > I just cannot use the Ctrl-* keyboard short cuts.
21 > >
22 > > I tried this with both my normal profile and an empty profile. The
23 > > behaviour is the same.
24 > >
25 > > The strace output looks to me like complete gibberish.
26 > >
27 > > Does anyone else have the problem? What else can I do to check whether
28 > > the problem is on my end? If I were to file a bug report, what kind of
29 > > information may be useful?
30
31 The output is only two words:
32
33 "Segmentation Fault"
34
35 W
36 --
37 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
38 408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
39 A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.