From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 05:02:23
1 Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > Well some seemed to have no issues with it and just changing the USE
4 > flags was it. Not for me tho. Got locked out of my own system with
5 > no mouse or keyboard. I never did get that thing to work either.
6 >
7 > This however seems to have worked. I emerged them, ran etc-update
8 > which had a LOT of updates, went through the guide and edited a few
9 > things and rebooted. I can't say it was any faster tho. It stopped
10 > at one point, which worried me at first, then carried on. I'm not
11 > sure what it stopped on tho. Maybe it was a one time thing.
12 >
13 > What do you know, I upgraded and it worked. Now if I can just get rid
14 > of this Nepomuk thingy that pops up a bit after I login to KDE. Makes
15 > me want to get a fly flap and beat on the message. lol It bugs me.
16 > Get it?
17 >
18 > Thanks for the replies. Sort of helped me decide when to do this.
19 >
20 > Dale
21 >
22 > :-) :-)
25 I noticed something . . . odd. Sometimes when I do upgrades to some
26 packages, I go to single user, check what processes are still running
27 and kill strays, then go back to the default run level and login. I
28 just updated a lot of KDE related stuff and went to single user. When
29 it says single user, it ain't kidding. It even unmounts file systems.
30 Oook. That's weird. It didn't do that before. :/ Then when I wanted
31 to go back to the default run level and typed in rc default & exit, it
32 logged me out which is normal but nothing scrolled up like it did in the
33 old baselayout. The screen went blank and a bit later the KDM screen
34 came up. It used to be that it logged me out and then I saw all the
35 services scrolling up until kdm started.
36
37 Is this the new normal? Should I not do the exit thing now?
38
39 One good thing I noticed, KDE used to have a LOT of dead processes
40 running after logging out, even after going to single user. Lots of
41 kdeinit and knotify stuff. It seems to close out a LOT cleaner. On my
42 first time going single user, it was clean as a whistle. I didn't see a
43 single stray process in the bunch. Neato !!
44
45 Thanks.
46
47 Dale