From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Ridiculous nagging problem unable to ping
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:33:25
1 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > I agree with Neil. It sounds like a router issue. Possibly a DMZ
4 > setting in the router is the same as the IP of the machine that
5 > doesn't work correctly so the ping gets to the DMZ and the response is
6 > sent out to the Internet instead of back inside?
7
8 I agree too.
9
10 I once had a DMZ setting set up on the router long ago. The address
11 was 192.168.0.19. It was an old home machine running openbsd with a pf
12 firewall.
13
14 Currently no machine on the lan has that address and the DMZ
15 capability is disabled at the router anyway. (I just checked again
16 for about the 10th time.)
17
18 > I don't think you stated how the problem box got its address. Is it
19 > fixed IP or something provided by the router?
20
21 They are assigned by hand (by me) so static IPs.
22
23 > If the 5 internal machines have consecutive addresses, have you tried
24 > changing the IP address of the machine that doesn't work to something
25 > above #5? Maybe disconnect one of the other machines and give the
26 > problem box that IP address?
27
28 No I haven't but I'll try it now... just ifconfigging up a new
29 address.
30
31 ifconfig eth0 down
32 ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.27 <=was 192.168.0.4
33 route add default gw 192.168.0.20
34
35 ping ftp.ucsb.edu
36 PING ftp.ucsb.edu (128.111.24.43) 56(84) bytes of data.
37 64 bytes from ftp.ucsb.edu (128.111.24.43): icmp_seq=1 ttl=44 time=129 ms
38 64 bytes from ftp.ucsb.edu (128.111.24.43): icmp_seq=2 ttl=44 time=117 ms
39 [...]
40
41 Oh boy, we in the chips now.
42
43 Yippeee
44
45 I new there would be some simple common sense test I would have
46 overlooked. Thanks.
47
48 So that proves something is blocking that particular address
49 182.168.0.4 and that seems almost certainly to be something on the
50 router.
51
52 It must be a setting I cannot find and it must be for icmp only since
53 I've been able to traceroute or any other kind of connect, right
54 along.
55
56 I could just change that machines address but it would mean changing
57 all other machines hosts files and such.... not too big a deal I
58 guess.
59
60 Might be easier to reset the router to default factory condition and
61 and then set it up for my needs which wouldn't be much work either.
62 It has a little hole where you press a pin and reset it.
63
64 Is there any chance the blockage is coming from something on that
65 machine and not the router?