From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Ridiculous nagging problem unable to ping
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:46:21
1 On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> I agree with Neil. It sounds like a router issue. Possibly a DMZ
5 >> setting in the router is the same as the IP of the machine that
6 >> doesn't work correctly so the ping gets to the DMZ and the response is
7 >> sent out to the Internet instead of back inside?
8 >
9 > I agree too.
10 >
11 > I once had a DMZ setting set up on the router long ago. The address
12 > was 192.168.0.19. It was an old home machine running openbsd with a pf
13 > firewall.
14 >
15 > Currently no machine on the lan has that address and the DMZ
16 > capability is disabled at the router anyway. (I just checked again
17 > for about the 10th time.)
18 >
19 >> I don't think you stated how the problem box got its address. Is it
20 >> fixed IP or something provided by the router?
21 >
22 > They are assigned by hand (by me) so static IPs.
23 >
24 >> If the 5 internal machines have consecutive addresses, have you tried
25 >> changing the IP address of the machine that doesn't work to something
26 >> above #5? Maybe disconnect one of the other machines and give the
27 >> problem box that IP address?
28 >
29 > No I haven't but I'll try it now... just ifconfigging up a new
30 > address.
31 >
32 > ifconfig eth0 down
33 > ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.27 <=was 192.168.0.4
34 > route add default gw 192.168.0.20
35 >
36 > ping ftp.ucsb.edu
37 > PING ftp.ucsb.edu (128.111.24.43) 56(84) bytes of data.
38 > 64 bytes from ftp.ucsb.edu (128.111.24.43): icmp_seq=1 ttl=44 time=129 ms
39 > 64 bytes from ftp.ucsb.edu (128.111.24.43): icmp_seq=2 ttl=44 time=117 ms
40 > [...]
41 >
42 > Oh boy, we in the chips now.
43 >
44 > Yippeee
45 >
46 > I new there would be some simple common sense test I would have
47 > overlooked. Thanks.
48 >
49 > So that proves something is blocking that particular address
50 > 182.168.0.4 and that seems almost certainly to be something on the
51 > router.
52 >
53 > It must be a setting I cannot find and it must be for icmp only since
54 > I've been able to traceroute or any other kind of connect, right
55 > along.
56 >
57 > I could just change that machines address but it would mean changing
58 > all other machines hosts files and such.... not too big a deal I
59 > guess.
60 >
61 > Might be easier to reset the router to default factory condition and
62 > and then set it up for my needs which wouldn't be much work either.
63 > It has a little hole where you press a pin and reset it.
64 >
65 > Is there any chance the blockage is coming from something on that
66 > machine and not the router?
67
68 I don't think there's much chance the problem is on the machine. I
69 don't know much about these things though.
70
71 As for the router I would consider looking for a router firmware
72 update. I've had a couple of funny problems over the years with my
73 LinkSys routers. Usually installing more up-to-date firmware has fixed
74 them.
75
76 Glad you are making headway.
77