From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 10:08:38
1 On Friday 07 January 2011 09:47:28 Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > Hi Dale,
3 >
4 > Dale wrote:
5 > > Jörg Schaible wrote:
6 > >> that approves my tests ... :-/
7 > >>
8 > >> Had to boot this morning 5 times, since the root device switched
9 > >> arbitrarily between sde3 and sdg3 and I've chosen by bad luck always the
10 > >> wrong one. It seems there is also some timing involved regarding the
11 > >> initialization of the available devices ... sigh.
12 > >>
13 > >> - Jörg
14 > >
15 > > I had to reboot last night and was in my BIOS looking for other things
16 > > but did notice this feature. I have a setting in my BIOS that tells it
17 > > what drive to look for to boot first. It's above the part where you
18 > > tell it to boot CDROM, hard drive, floppy, ZIP and other bootable
19 > > things. You may want to check and see if you have the same thing. Mine
20 > > is called "hard disk boot priority". I'm not sure this will help but it
21 > > couldn't hurt to check I guess.
22 >
23 > The first device to try is my HD and as alternative I can only select the
24 > CD drive anyway (which is deactivated). At boot time I can still switch
25 > into a boot menu of the BIOS to select something else.
26
27 This will not affect the order the Linux kernel will identify and label the
28 devices.
29 It will only affect where the BIOS will look for boot-code.
30
31 Simply put, the following happens when a PC boots:
32
33 1) BIOS goes through its self-check
34
35 2) BIOS looks for boot-code on the devices it found in the order configured in
36 the BIOS (BIOS -Boot Order)
37
38 3) BIOS runs boot-code
39
40 4) boot-code starts the boot-loader (GRUB)
41
42 5) GRUB loads kernel into memory
43
44 6) starts kernel
45
46 7) kernel detects drives and assigns them names in order of finding them
47
48 At this point, it goes wrong as the drivers are not always identified in the
49 same order. From what it looks like, on the OPs system, the USB-subsystem is
50 scanned before the SATA-controller.
51 The easiest solution to this problem would be to ensure that the USB-subsystem
52 is not scanned before the boot-device is identified by the kernels boot-
53 process.
54
55 This can be achieved by configuring the USB-mass-storage support as a module.
56
57 Another option would be to patch the kernel to either support Labels natively
58 or to have it include a "scan harddisks in following order:...." option which
59 lists which harddisk-drivers (sata/ide/usb) are scanned and in which order.
62 Joost