From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 09:14:14
1 Hi Dale,
2
3 Dale wrote:
4
5 > Jörg Schaible wrote:
6 >> that approves my tests ... :-/
7 >>
8 >> Had to boot this morning 5 times, since the root device switched
9 >> arbitrarily between sde3 and sdg3 and I've chosen by bad luck always the
10 >> wrong one. It seems there is also some timing involved regarding the
11 >> initialization of the available devices ... sigh.
12 >>
13 >> - Jörg
14 >
15 > I had to reboot last night and was in my BIOS looking for other things
16 > but did notice this feature. I have a setting in my BIOS that tells it
17 > what drive to look for to boot first. It's above the part where you
18 > tell it to boot CDROM, hard drive, floppy, ZIP and other bootable
19 > things. You may want to check and see if you have the same thing. Mine
20 > is called "hard disk boot priority". I'm not sure this will help but it
21 > couldn't hurt to check I guess.
22
23 The first device to try is my HD and as alternative I can only select the CD
24 drive anyway (which is deactivated). At boot time I can still switch into a
25 boot menu of the BIOS to select something else.
26
27 > I also noticed something else that may not be related. I enabled AHCI a
28 > while back and noticed it will not boot from a CD/DVD when in that
29 > mode. I have to set it back to IDE for it to be able to boot from other
30 > than the hard drive. Maybe if you set yours to AHCI, it will skip the
31 > external stuff like USB?
32
33 All of this is set to AHCI. And I rather not set this to IDE.
34
35 > I'm seriously pulling it out my butt here. I hope one of these will
36 > help. ;-)
37
38 What really annoys me is, that I had no problems with this in kernels before
39 2.6.35 :-/
40
41 Anyway, thanks for your help,
42 Jörg