From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 13:05:55
1 Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > that approves my tests ... :-/
3 >
4 > Had to boot this morning 5 times, since the root device switched arbitrarily
5 > between sde3 and sdg3 and I've chosen by bad luck always the wrong one. It
6 > seems there is also some timing involved regarding the initialization of the
7 > available devices ... sigh.
8 >
9 > - Jörg
13 I had to reboot last night and was in my BIOS looking for other things
14 but did notice this feature. I have a setting in my BIOS that tells it
15 what drive to look for to boot first. It's above the part where you
16 tell it to boot CDROM, hard drive, floppy, ZIP and other bootable
17 things. You may want to check and see if you have the same thing. Mine
18 is called "hard disk boot priority". I'm not sure this will help but it
19 couldn't hurt to check I guess.
20
21 I also noticed something else that may not be related. I enabled AHCI a
22 while back and noticed it will not boot from a CD/DVD when in that
23 mode. I have to set it back to IDE for it to be able to boot from other
24 than the hard drive. Maybe if you set yours to AHCI, it will skip the
25 external stuff like USB?
26
27 I'm seriously pulling it out my butt here. I hope one of these will
28 help. ;-)
29
30 Dale
31