From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 10:14:41
1 On Wednesday 05 January 2011 13:35:28 Dale wrote:
2 > Jörg Schaible wrote:
3 > > that approves my tests ... :-/
4 > >
5 > > Had to boot this morning 5 times, since the root device switched
6 > > arbitrarily between sde3 and sdg3 and I've chosen by bad luck always the
7 > > wrong one. It seems there is also some timing involved regarding the
8 > > initialization of the available devices ... sigh.
9 > >
10 > > - Jörg
11 >
12 > I had to reboot last night and was in my BIOS looking for other things
13 > but did notice this feature. I have a setting in my BIOS that tells it
14 > what drive to look for to boot first. It's above the part where you
15 > tell it to boot CDROM, hard drive, floppy, ZIP and other bootable
16 > things. You may want to check and see if you have the same thing. Mine
17 > is called "hard disk boot priority". I'm not sure this will help but it
18 > couldn't hurt to check I guess.
19 >
20 > I also noticed something else that may not be related. I enabled AHCI a
21 > while back and noticed it will not boot from a CD/DVD when in that
22 > mode. I have to set it back to IDE for it to be able to boot from other
23 > than the hard drive. Maybe if you set yours to AHCI, it will skip the
24 > external stuff like USB?
25
26 Dale, juust out of curiosity here.
27 Do you have your CD/DVD drive attached using a SATA-cable? Or using an "older"
28 IDE-cable?
29
30 I use AHCI in my BIOS and can boot from CD/DVD. But my DVD-drive is a SATA-
31 drive.
34 Joost