From: Beau Henderson <beau@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to "freeze" my Gentoo system
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 04:11:26
1 On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Sean <sean@×××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 13:40 -0700, Michael Higgins wrote:
4 >> Don't know the proper term, but I want to stop version updates for a while, yet allow package-rN updates...
5 >
6 > I don't think there's a real good way to accomplish this, but the
7 > approach I would take is to setup a local portage tree that the system
8 > syncs from. You could then cherry pick the ebuild updates that go into
9 > that local, and now customized, portage tree.
10 >
11 > -Sean
15 I'm not sure if this is any use to you, but what I tend to do with my
16 workstation and laptop which I use daily for work is, I have the
17 following bash aliases in place ( because I'm lazy ). I tend not to
18 run a a full deep update via emerge during the work week but do look
19 out for reported security vulnerabilities via the glsa-check
20 application. I can then update only the affected package or packages
21 as needed and the system remains otherwise in-tact and stable.
22
23 alias secchk='glsa-check -p affected'
24 alias secup='glsa-check -f affected'
29 Beau Dylan Henderson
30
31 "No human being should be denied the fundamental right to educate
32 themselves or indulge their curiosities. To deny any person the right
33 to do so, for whatever reason, is nothing more than the safeguarding
34 of ignorance to ensure that enlightenment does not become a threat.
35 For nothing in this world is more dangerous than an open mind." --
36 Matthew Good