From: comrade b14ck <comradeb14ck@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: backup program recommendations?
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 00:49:11
1 If you want to make backups, don't do it on a cdrom. Try rsync, it's a great
2 backup tool. Here's a guide to dip your feet in:
3 http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
4
5 On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Hung Dang <hungptit@×××××.com> wrote:
6
7 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
8 >
9 >> Hung Dang wrote:
10 >>
11 >>> James Wall wrote:
12 >>>
13 >>>> Hi all,
14 >>>>
15 >>>> I am looking for a backup program that can back up to my DVD+-R/RW drive
16 >>>> to back up my private portage tree/distfile/music/web server. What
17 >>>> programs would you recommend to handle this task?
18 >>>>
19 >>>> TIA James Wall
20 >>>>
21 >>>>
22 >>>>
23 >>> You can try k3b
24 >>>
25 >>
26 >> Well, that's not a backup app. But anyway, I don't use a "backup app"
27 >> either. I just tar.lzma the whole thing and burn it :P
30 >> My bad :( I thought it is the program to write to DVD.
31 > I am not sure what you want. In my case, I combine a bash script to
32 > compress, rsync ... with cron to do the back up weekly. It seem to be quite
33 > convenient.
34 >
35 > If you have big files using rar is faster and save more space than tar.
36 >
37 > Hung