From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PCI video cards, hardware accel, upported by open-source drivers?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 06:13:28
1 On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 06:45:55PM +0100, Stroller wrote
2
3 > I'm sceptical over the benefits of upgrading a 4 year old PC (short
4 > of ripping most all the guts out and starting again). I know the
5 > industry has currently settled on PCIe, but haven't bus speeds
6 > increased in the last 4 years? Are all the latest cards compatible
7 > with your Dell? If not, then you'll probably end up buying an older
8 > model, and then that will be sub-optimal when you want to upgrade
9 > your motherboard in a year's time.
10
11 I've posted a snapshot of the Dell's internals on my ISP's personal
12 webspace at http://clients.teksavvy.com/~walterdnes/misc/dell2.jpg Is
13 the long black slot PCIe? What's the short black slot?
14
15 > I'm sorry if this reply is unhelpful, but you give a lot of information,
16 > and perhaps that means you might be open to considering alternative
17 > solutions to the core problem.
18
19 If it's PCIe, so be it. Actually, a post that prevents me wasting
20 money is helpful <G>. Would PCIe be significantly better on the same
21 CPU+GPU, or is it hype?
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>