From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PCI video cards, hardware accel, upported by open-source drivers?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:32:39
1 Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2012, 02:11:35 schrieb Walter Dnes:
2 > On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 06:45:55PM +0100, Stroller wrote
3 >
4 > > I'm sceptical over the benefits of upgrading a 4 year old PC (short
5 > > of ripping most all the guts out and starting again). I know the
6 > > industry has currently settled on PCIe, but haven't bus speeds
7 > > increased in the last 4 years? Are all the latest cards compatible
8 > > with your Dell? If not, then you'll probably end up buying an older
9 > > model, and then that will be sub-optimal when you want to upgrade
10 > > your motherboard in a year's time.
11 >
12 > I've posted a snapshot of the Dell's internals on my ISP's personal
13 > webspace at http://clients.teksavvy.com/~walterdnes/misc/dell2.jpg Is
14 > the long black slot PCIe? What's the short black slot?
15 >
16 > > I'm sorry if this reply is unhelpful, but you give a lot of information,
17 > > and perhaps that means you might be open to considering alternative
18 > > solutions to the core problem.
19 >
20 > If it's PCIe, so be it. Actually, a post that prevents me wasting
21 > money is helpful <G>. Would PCIe be significantly better on the same
22 > CPU+GPU, or is it hype?
23
24 a lot, lot lot lot better. No hype.
28 #163933