From: "Mariusz Pękala" <skoot@××.pl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ls date was: Bizarre etc/cfg-update problem
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 20:59:32
1 On 2006-01-07 20:01:25 +0100 (Sat, Jan), Holly Bostick wrote:
2 > Willie Wong schreef:
3 > > On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 04:17:11PM +0100, Penguin Lover Holly Bostick
4 > > squawked:
5 > >
6 > >> (how do you get ls to also include the @#$%#$ *year*??)
9 > > Sorry, couldn't help with the rest of your problem, but I think it is
10 > > assumed that ls will display the year only for files older than a
11 > > year old. Quite clever, in my opinion.
12 >
13 > OK, I see what you mean-- or maybe I don't:
14 >
15 > I see that many files that are more than a year old then are followed by
16 > the year, but some are not, and some which are less than a year old are
17 > followed by a year.
18 >
19 > -rw-r--r-- 1 motub somegroup 1661 jul 13 13:52 more_what works.txt
20 > (this must have been created in 2005)
21 >
22 > but this file is less than a year old and is still fully dated:
23 >
24 > -rw-rw-r-- 1 motub somegroup 581 jan 31 2005 computeruniverse_rma.txt
25 >
26 > But even leaving aside the inconsistencies (only for the purposes of
27 > this discussion), this is not the behaviour I expect or in fact desire.
28 > I normally expect the year to be displayed whenever the current calendar
29 > year is different from that associated with the file-- thus, if the file
30 > was created in 2006, I would not expect the year to be shown, but if it
31 > was created in 2005, I would expect the year to be shown, whether or not
32 > the current date was one year or more from the month and day that the
33 > file was created.
34
35 It's a matter of taste, but I would rather keep this historical
36 behaviour. On January the 1st you would see tiestamps from yesterday
37 similiar to the 'very-old-ones'.
38
39 > Rather than go off on a rant, I will ask mildly: is there any way to
40 > change the default behaviour to more reflect my expected behaviour? Not
41 > so much asking you to tell me how to do it as asking if those of you who
42 > have already read man ls whether there is a solution to be found when I
43 > have the time to read it myself.
44
45 info ls, section * Formatting file timestamps::
46 " A timestamp is considered to be "recent" if it is less than six
47 months old, and is not dated in the future."
48
49 and further:
50 " For example, `--time-style="+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"' causes..."
51
52 HTH
55 No virus found in this outgoing message.
56 Checked by "grep -i virus $MESSAGE"