From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM: Pro and Contra ?
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:55:03
1 Meino Christian Cramer schrieb:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Soon I will change me system from PATA (80GB) to SATA (200GB). I am
5 > playing with installing LVM for all parts of the filesystem with the
6 > execption of the / -filesystem.
7
8 /boot should also not be on LVM.
9
10 > Can someone point me to a text or something which explains this
11 > aspect of LVM ?
12
13 Check out the EXCELLENT HowTo at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/
14
15 > I tried google but there far too many "Pro and Contra" texts about
16 > other things.....
17
18 What Cons are there reg. LVM?
19
20 Hm:
21
22 - Only Linux supports LVM - ie. if you need to access the data
23 from ANY other OS, LVM cannot be used
24 - / on LVM can sometimes be hard
25 - The howto should be read and understood (OTOH, howtos reg. old
26 fashioned partitioning also have to be read and understood).
27
28 Pro:
29 - Flexibility - it's *extremely* easy to resize "partitions"
30 and file systems
31 - Snapshot - *very* useful for backups
32 - Great scalability: If additional space is required, put in
33 new discs and extend the existing filesystems to also use
34 those discs
37 Alexander Skwar
38 --
39 falsie salesman, n: