From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Setting up a fall back ISP SMTP in sendmail
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:22:23
1 On Tuesday 20 April 2010 15:53:01 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I think you all are missing something... sendmail is better documented
3 > than any of the other pretenders.
4
5 One has to understand what the various MTAs out there were built to do, and
6 what their "feature list" is:
7
8 sendmail comes from ancient days. It was written to be able to route almost
9 any kind of mail using almost any kind of addressing scheme to and from almost
10 any kind of network. So it is quite happy receiving SMTP mail from the
11 internet and routing it to a FidoNet address. To do this, it has to reread
12 it's routing table with every message, therefore .cf was designed to be
13 machine efficient but still use only ASCII characters. Which led to m4 being
14 developed to make it easier, and I've even seen more simple apps that are
15 front ends to m4. After a while you start asking "Wow, is this complexity
16 actually needed?"
17
18 Postfix was designed to remove the sendmail complexity from a sysadmin's life
19 while still being somewhat familiar. It's claim to fame is the ability to pump
20 enormous amounts of mail down a pipe and keep the routing rules simple. I have
21 two Postfix relays, both of them can deal with 3 million mails a day without
22 breaking a sweat. Let me put that in perspective, it's about 30 mails a
23 second, every second. Postfix is so good at this, I can run them as VMWare
24 virtual machine.
25
26 exim doesn't fare quite as well as Postfix in the raw throughput department,
27 but it is very very good at giving the sysadmin efficient filtering/routing
28 rules.
29
30 qmail is, how shall I put this? Something that Dan wrote? Dan likes to find
31 fault in the detail with almost all software and likes to perform experiments
32 to prove himself right. He also likes to do all of this his own way with the
33 result that his stuff is a square peg and you have a round hole. Most
34 sysadmins I know consider the pain of using qmail to not offset the benefit of
35 using qmail, therefore they don't use it.
36
37 > Now understand, that I am easily the dullest knife in the drawer on
38 > this list even though by unix/linux standards I'm fairly long in the
39 > tooth having started my computing skills in 1996 and broke in on
40 > redhat at that time (using sendmail). I'm sad to say, I'm still a
41 > noob in a vast number of areas.
42 >
43 > I've used sendmail all that time. If I can figure out how to use
44 > it.... It really must not be that hard. At least not hard to find
45 > piles of help on google.
46
47 Postfix's web site has an enormous amount of documentation on everything
48 related to Postfix.
49
50 > Admittedly though my usage has always been just a homeboy home lan
51 > administrator so closest I ever come to using sendmail anything like
52 > what its target usage base is, would be a home lan mailhub.
53 >
54 > Unless, I'm terribly misinformed, sendmail is still the most commonly
55 > used mta in the unix world of servers.
56
57 Yes, you are misinformed. My logs show very little mail being received from
58 sendmail MTAs. There may well be large numbers of ancient sendmail installs
59 out there, but they do not account for a large fraction of the mail being
60 sent. That trophy belongs to Windows zombie bots....
61
62 > At least according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sendmail
63 >
64 > Qmail home page says it is the second most common MTA but doesn't say
65 > who is first.... its sendmail... I'm pretty sure.
66 >
67 > About all the snipes concerning hacking sendmail.cf... I'm sure you
68 > are all aware that any hacking needs to happen in sendmail.mc... then
69 > let m4 sort out sendmail.cf.
70
71 Even a cursory glance at sendmail shows that it was designed in a time with a
72 different mindset and different needs to what we do these days. Sendmail will
73 never escape this legacy because it is what it is and that is it's purpose.
74
75 It's not as bad as buggy whips, but the same principle is at work.
78 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com