From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Setting up a fall back ISP SMTP in sendmail
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:07:18
1 I think you all are missing something... sendmail is better documented
2 than any of the other pretenders.
3
4 Now understand, that I am easily the dullest knife in the drawer on
5 this list even though by unix/linux standards I'm fairly long in the
6 tooth having started my computing skills in 1996 and broke in on
7 redhat at that time (using sendmail). I'm sad to say, I'm still a
8 noob in a vast number of areas.
9
10 I've used sendmail all that time. If I can figure out how to use
11 it.... It really must not be that hard. At least not hard to find
12 piles of help on google.
13
14 Admittedly though my usage has always been just a homeboy home lan
15 administrator so closest I ever come to using sendmail anything like
16 what its target usage base is, would be a home lan mailhub.
17
18 Unless, I'm terribly misinformed, sendmail is still the most commonly
19 used mta in the unix world of servers.
20
21 At least according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sendmail
22
23 Qmail home page says it is the second most common MTA but doesn't say
24 who is first.... its sendmail... I'm pretty sure.
25
26 About all the snipes concerning hacking sendmail.cf... I'm sure you
27 are all aware that any hacking needs to happen in sendmail.mc... then
28 let m4 sort out sendmail.cf.