From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: modprobe looks in wrong dir
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 20:17:04
1 --- Maurice E Johnson <maurice.e.johnson@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > modules-update only updates for the running version.
5 > In order to update
6 > the new version, you could simply reboot to the new
7 > version.
8
9 Ok, here's where it gets weird, at least to me:
10
11 The symlink points to the new sources. When I cd
12 /usr/src/linux that's where I end up. I run make
13 menuconfig, then make && make modules_install. Then I
14 copy bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz as always; take a quick
15 look around; check that the new /lib/modules dir(there
16 are now two, natch) is full of modular goodness, and
17 reboot.
18
19 At the grub prompt I run >root, >kernel /vmlinuz #the
20 *new* kernel and >boot as I always do.
21
22 CERTAIN modules load. CERTAIN modules don't,
23 predominantly having to do with communications
24 hardware.
25
26 The thing makes it to the prompt. I log in. Run uname.
27 Yikes! It *is* _running_ the old kernel.
28
29 BUT, it's _booting_ from the new! I checked!
30
31 Puh-leeeeeeeze! Chew me out! Deny my competency! Flame
32 me like you've never flamed the rankest wannabe!But
33 tell me how to fix this thing!
34
35 -Your humble servant etc etc
36
37 -Maxim
38
40 Do You Yahoo!?
41 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
42 http://mail.yahoo.com
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list