From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:24:15
1 Stroller writes:
2
3 > On 16 Mar 2010, at 22:26, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > > ...
5 > > I want to add one thing: I suggest changing the defscrollback value
6 > > in /etc/screenrc from 100 to something much larger, I have 100000.
7 > > If not, you can only scroll back 100 lines, which is not that much.
8 >
9 > I don't *think* the default is as low as 100 lines. I don't seem to
10 > have a .screenrc on my system (the system I've just checked; and I
11 > would edit it there, rather than /etc/screenrc) and it has always had
12 > sufficient scrollback buffer for my needs. By all means it should be
13 > enlarged this way if necessary.
14
15 I just checked, the original screenrc I had when I emerged screen on this
16 system around April has these lines:
17
18 # Change default scrollback value for new windows
19 defscrollback 1000 # default: 100
20
21 So it's 1000 already in Gentoo, ten times larger than the default. Still
22 not large enough I think, as we have lots of memory nowadays, don't we.
23 And I often go back many pages, 100 lines is not that much.
24 BTW, I did not know about Ctrl-U/D, after Ctrl-A-Esc I just use PgUp/PgDn
25 to scroll up and down.
26
27 I prefer to edit /etc/screenrc so everyone has a reasonable large
28 scrollback buffer. Other screen settings go into the user's .screenrc.
29 There's so much that can be set, I'm only using a fraction of screen's
30 features.
31
32 Another thing I sometimes use: With screen -r <user>/<pid> you can join a
33 session that is attached by another user. I am using this sometimes when
34 another person has trouble with their Gentoo installation. I log in into
35 their server, attach to the screen session, and we can both do things in
36 it. screen needs the multiuser USE flag for this, though.
37
38 Wonko