From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: change and improvement
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 19:22:16
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2011-10-07, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s<caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> In the end, udev was making huge advances, and HAL could not keep up
5 >> simply because the other Operating Systems didn't have similar
6 >> capabilities, so the consumers of HAL (desktop systems, mostly)
7 >> started to use udev directly. That was when the shit hit the fan: if
8 >> the purpose of HAL was to mantain "portability", but the biggest and
9 >> most active developer community (Linux) refused to use it since it
10 >> didn't allowed them to use the full capabilities of the operating
11 >> system, then it had (literally) no reason to live. So the HAL
12 >> mantainers saw the error of their ways, and they deprecated it,
13 >> saying to the user space developers that, in Linux, they should use
14 >> udev, and in other Operating Systems whatever was equivalent, if any.
15 >>
16 >> It was really fast, if I remember correctly: one day half the
17 >> programs in my computers used HAL, and the next every single one of
18 >> them stopped using it. In Gentoo in particular was pretty rough,
19 >> since the X.org version that used HAL had just become stable (which
20 >> was kinda difficult to transition to), and next thing you know, you
21 >> again had to transition, this time to a HAL-free X.org. A lot of
22 >> users got really angry in Gentoo because of that.
23 > Some of us grumpy-old-guy types refused to play nice and didn't make
24 > either transition. We disabled HAL support in X.org [after X.org had
25 > stopped working when HAL became the default]. Once we had HAL
26 > disabled, we continued to to use the trusty old xorg.conf file until
27 > the whole HAL thing blew over.
28 >
29 > I'm going to ignore grub2 for as long as I can, but I don't think it's
30 > going away the way HAL did... ;)
33 Some of us old farts tried hal and got bit, hard. It's the one time I
34 can say Linux failed me big time. I felt like I was running windoze. O_O
35
36 Dale
37