From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: change and improvement
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 19:13:23
1 On 2011-10-07, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > In the end, udev was making huge advances, and HAL could not keep up
4 > simply because the other Operating Systems didn't have similar
5 > capabilities, so the consumers of HAL (desktop systems, mostly)
6 > started to use udev directly. That was when the shit hit the fan: if
7 > the purpose of HAL was to mantain "portability", but the biggest and
8 > most active developer community (Linux) refused to use it since it
9 > didn't allowed them to use the full capabilities of the operating
10 > system, then it had (literally) no reason to live. So the HAL
11 > mantainers saw the error of their ways, and they deprecated it,
12 > saying to the user space developers that, in Linux, they should use
13 > udev, and in other Operating Systems whatever was equivalent, if any.
14 >
15 > It was really fast, if I remember correctly: one day half the
16 > programs in my computers used HAL, and the next every single one of
17 > them stopped using it. In Gentoo in particular was pretty rough,
18 > since the X.org version that used HAL had just become stable (which
19 > was kinda difficult to transition to), and next thing you know, you
20 > again had to transition, this time to a HAL-free X.org. A lot of
21 > users got really angry in Gentoo because of that.
22
23 Some of us grumpy-old-guy types refused to play nice and didn't make
24 either transition. We disabled HAL support in X.org [after X.org had
25 stopped working when HAL became the default]. Once we had HAL
26 disabled, we continued to to use the trusty old xorg.conf file until
27 the whole HAL thing blew over.
28
29 I'm going to ignore grub2 for as long as I can, but I don't think it's
30 going away the way HAL did... ;)
33 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'd like some JUNK
34 at FOOD ... and then I want to
35 gmail.com be ALONE --