From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo gets as bad SuSE: Circular dependencies [WAS: Thank you Gentoo devs]
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 15:57:48
1 * Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > *What* are you talking about? PDEPENDs are packages that should be emerged
6 > *after* the package in question. That A depends on B to be emerged *after* A
7 > and B depends on A to be emerged *before* B does not produce a circular
8 > dependency!
9
10 In some situations they're in fact circular, ie. when using binary
11 packages.
12
13 BTW: I don't see any reason why the whole Xserve should be recompiled
14 if just some other device driver is needed.
15
16 > The PDEPEND of xorg-server is a convenience for the user to only need to set
17 > VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES (or stick with the defaults) and have
18 > xorg-server pull in only the requested drivers after itself.
19
20 Why not simply an virtual for that ?
21 I did it in my overlay, and it works very fine.
22
23 <snip>
24
25 > > If you want some package which pulls in an complete Xserver installation
26 > > *and* drivers (based on certain useflags), why not just an virtual
27 > > package ?
28 >
29 > virtuals are similar to meta packages (if you look at their contents)
30 > with one very important difference.
31 >
32 > virtuals provide a minimal functionality that other packages can
33 > depend on without caring about what provides it. meta packages
34 > are a convenience to the users that pulls in a bunch of packages
35 > and hence nothing is allowed to depend on them.
36
37 meta or virtual - where's the technical difference ?
38
39 I don't care about how you call them, but pulling in the drivers
40 should not belong to the server package, but an separate one.
43 cu
44 --
46 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
48 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
49 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
50 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
51 http://patches.metux.de/
53 --
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list