From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo gets as bad SuSE: Circular dependencies [WAS: Thank you Gentoo devs]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 16:22:59
1 On Wednesday 16 May 2007 17:47:37 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > > > Thank you for producing lots of circular dependencies
3 > > > (ie. in the Xserver), which make maintenance complicated.
4 > >
5 > > Lots? If you'd posted this yesterday, I would have been able to recall
6 > > the last time I was hit with one.
7 >
8 > At least several. I didn't find an good solution for checking
9 > the whole tree yet, so I yet know some. Good candidates are
10 > where PDEPENDs occour. For example the Xserver.
11
12 *What* are you talking about? PDEPENDs are packages that should be emerged
13 *after* the package in question. That A depends on B to be emerged *after* A
14 and B depends on A to be emerged *before* B does not produce a circular
15 dependency!
16
17 The PDEPEND of xorg-server is a convenience for the user to only need to set
18 VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES (or stick with the defaults) and have
19 xorg-server pull in only the requested drivers after itself.
20
21 > If you want some package which pulls in an complete Xserver installation
22 > *and* drivers (based on certain useflags), why not just an virtual
23 > package ?
24
25 virtuals are similar to meta packages (if you look at their contents) with one
26 very important difference.
27
28 virtuals provide a minimal functionality that other packages can depend on
29 without caring about what provides it. meta packages are a convenience to the
30 users that pulls in a bunch of packages and hence nothing is allowed to
31 depend on them.
34 Bo Andresen