From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel setting for frame buffer (2.6.23-r5)
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:28:01
1 On Wednesday 9 January 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > For a good while now I've had a setting like this in grub.conf:
4 >
5 > (wrapped for mail)
6 > kernel /kernel-2.6.23-r5 root=/dev/hda5 \
7 > vga=0x31A video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap
8 >
9 > I'm not sure any more how much of that is necessary.
10
11 FWIW, I have only the vga= part (more exactly, I have vga=791, with the
12 argument in decimal. Yours would be vga=794, but the base is just a
13 matter of habit).
14
15 > I have it there to allow console mode to have much larger resolution
16 > than default (The appearance is much smaller text)
17 >
18 > I think this setting in kernel config is the one needed for that:
19 > CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
20
21 Correct.
24 > But I'm trying to build a pared down kernel a console only setup.
25 > Going thru the kernel settings in menuconfig... I'm not finding the
26 > one that creates that `CONFIG_FB_VESA=y' element.
27
28 During make menuconfig, hit / and enter the text you want to search for
29 (in this case, obviously, it's FB_VESA), and hit enter. It should show
30 you where that particular option is found in the configration. In my
31 case (vanilla 2.6.23.9), it shows
32
33 Symbol: FB_VESA [=y]
34 Prompt: VESA VGA graphics support
35 Defined at drivers/video/Kconfig:595
36 Depends on: HAS_IOMEM && FB=y && X86
37 Location:
38 -> Device Drivers
39 -> Graphics support
40 -> Support for frame buffer devices (FB [=y])
41 Selects: FB_CFB_FILLRECT && FB_CFB_COPYAREA && FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT &&
42 VIDEO_SELECT
43
44 Notice the "Location:" bit.
45
46 > I've gone back and forth through the setting under:
47 > Device drivers/Graphics-support .. checking Support for FrameBuffer
48 > devices (both as module and builtin in different saves).
49
50 It should be there. Which kernel sources and release are you using?
51 Also note, in the above output, that VESA_FB depends on HAS_IOMEM and FB.
52 If you don't select either, the VESA_FB option will not be shown.
53 Since you obviously have FB set (otherwise you would not see the
54 Userspace VESA option), you can check the status of HAS_IOMEM. With the
55 same / trick described above, search for HAS_IOMEM. It does not give you
56 a lot of information this time, but at least it should tell you whether
57 the option is enabled. In my case, it just says
58
59 Symbol: HAS_IOMEM [=y]
60
61 In case you don't have it active (very strange, since it should be part
62 of the default configuration and not modifiable), try a "make mrproper"
63 and start over with make menuconfig, which should start with the default
64 config this time.
67 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list