From: Peter Gordon <admin@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [OT?] Re: [gentoo-user] ext3: 10% non-contiguous
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 05:33:22
1 On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 20:34 -0800, Joshua Schmidlkofer wrote:
2 > For a more sustainable situation, switch to XFS [It involved a
3 > backup/format/restore by whatever means you want] In any case, xfs
4 > has a tool called 'xfs_fsr' Which means 'file system reorganizer'.
5 > It does defragmentation, and balances some other stuff too. I run it
6 > weekly on my production servers, and nightly on most of my
7 > workstations.
8
9 Thus why it is broken by design in my view. A good filesystem should not
10 need to be defragmented. All filesystems will become fragmented over
11 time, but a filesystem which is well-behaved should take minimal, if
12 any, performance loss from it.
13
14 For what it's worth, I've never had a *single* problem with Ext3, and
15 I've been using it with various distributions since I first started
16 playing with GNU/Linux a few weeks after Fedora Core 1 was released.
17
18 --Peter