From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 17:23:05
1 On Sunday, December 18, 2016 2:59:36 PM EST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > This morning I ran my usual daily update and was presented with a long list
3 > of kde-app packages, including KMail-2. The only problem was four blocks
4 > that portage couldn't sort out on its own, so I evicted the existing
5 > versions with emerge -C and continued.
6 >
7 > Then kleopatra failed to build, as in bug 602924. The fix there worked (I
8 > should call it an evasion really) and kleopatra built ok. Then, on
9 > continuing with emerge -uaDvU, another whole load of blocks arose, mostly
10 > from portage trying to pull back in the versions of packages that had just
11 > been superseded.
12 >
13 > There seemed to be no way out of that, so I took my sledge-hammer and
14 > started an emerge -e world. No blocks were reported, so I think I might be
15 > getting away with it. I'm about half-way through so far, and I'm writing
16 > this via webmail.
17 >
18 > So, tread warily, anyone who is offered 16.12.0 versions of 148 kde-apps
19 > packages.
20
21 Try running emerge with, e.g. --backtrack=1000.
22
23 So, I've been running with a massive set of package.unmask for all of KDE-
24 Frameworks, Qt, Plasma and KDE-Applications. I also have a cron job handling
25 updates for me every evening. By an large it's worked fine...until a couple
26 weeks ago.
27
28 At that point, I wound up with a ton of slot conflicts that didn't make any
29 sense to me, but I figured they were tree issues that would work themselves
30 out. They didn't, and were getting in the way of a security update I needed,
31 so finally I dove in and devoted some time to it this morning. I tried
32 unmerging all of dev-qt/*, but that didn't solve the problem completely;
33 portage was still unable to work its way around a simple upgrade from perl
34 5.22 to 5.23. Once I threw in --backtrack=1000, it started swimming right
35 along.
36
37 It *seems* like the default backtrack value, 3, is simply too low for someone
38 like me who runs with --deep and --with-bdeps=y in EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS; once I
39 bumped the backtrack value, portage was able to work its way through the
40 dependency tree just fine.